Monday 16 January 2012

Super easy sweet and sour

Hi everyone! It's been a pretty busy week so blogging has been bumped down my list a few times, but I just wanted to mention a few things from this past week.

Does anyone have a problem with their other halves using their towel in the bathroom? I personally don't mind too much if the IT guy pinches my towel, but this idea was too cute to resist! I used my new alphabet that I got for Christmas- vinyl-tastic!
In the kitchen, I've recently discovered homemade sweet and sour sauce- I had no idea how easy it was to make! It uses all items that you would generally have in your store cupboard and it takes less time than it does to cook the rice.
Tonight we had sweet and sour pork with rice and it was delish. I cooked a joint of meat on Sunday, so that's us eating pork in various forms for the rest of the week! This is a great meal for using leftover meat.

Sweet and Sour Sauce
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup ketchup
3tbsp soy sauce
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tbsp flour

Combine all ingredients except the flour in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir quickly to combine and avoid any lumps.
Bring back to the boil and let it simmer for five minutes or until it thickens.
Add your cooked meat and heat until piping hot.
Serve over rice and with a side of spring rolls for a treat.



What I loved about this recipe is that it looked just like it would from a Chinese takeaway and was just the right colour. It was super easy and the IT guy loved it.

Hope you're all having a great week. Is anyone else starting to think about Valentines Day? I've come across some great ideas that I'm hoping to share with you all soon.

1 comment:

  1. My goodness.. you're right.. that does look yummy! The color is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete