Friday 28 October 2011

Call me Lehi

It's not uncommon for me to have pretty vivid dreams, I apparently have a very active imagination. On Wednesday night however, I had a particularly disturbing one, though I don't remember it in too much detail now.
Here's what I remember- there was a national crisis of some variety, and the IT guy and I were fleeing the country with my sister and her family (in their big wagon of a car) We had all been taken by surprise so we hadn't taken anything with us and I think we all had pyjamas on too. Not exactly the vision of emergency preparedness. Some strange people were chasing us in the dream too, though I think this is where my dream blurs into some sort of sci-fi movie, again, not uncommon.

As a result of this night time episode, I woke from my 'vision' with an overwhelming urge to prepare 72 hour packs for myself and the IT guy. After all, Dennis Quaid could show up at any moment and I want to be one of those people hanging out on top of a sky scraper waiting for him, not dead in the snow.
I set to work that very day.

I had a spurt of righteousness a few months ago and visited a local camping shop to buy folding saucepans, compasses that I don't know how to read, and the like- so I knew that we had most of the necessary pack contents around the house. All that was left was to sew a couple of small towels and get some miniature shower gel's from the bathroom cupboard (there's no need for hygiene to go out of the window just because you're trekking to Missouri!), pack my Twilight book and raid the kitchen cupboards for food that could be prepared over a small fire.

Result! Two hiking backpacks that we would have no hope of being able to carry for more than about five miles and a list on the noticeboard of items to grab if ever we had to leave the house at short notice.

Earthquakes, avalanches and floods- we're ready for you!


2 comments:

  1. Leah you are so organised! I have a 72 hour kit but I think its about 8 years out of date...whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organised about some things, not thinking about the other things =)
    How are the Kerr's doing?

    ReplyDelete