Thursday 10 May 2012

About reading, again!

You may not know this, but I have lots of hobbies. I mean LOTS. So many that I sometimes wonder if I do any of them justice. The one that has been with me the longest though has to be reading. I love books- the smell of them (you know you've smelt books as well!), the quiet moments where you can lose yourself in someone elses world and the fact that you hold a wealth of knowledge in your hand. Favourite books are like old friends and I love them.
I don't think anything can top the excitement of a new book release, especially when it's a series that you love and follow.

That's me right now. I had a dispatch notice for a book that I preordered a few months ago. It's on its was people! Deep breaths.

The Mortal Instruments 5: City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare


I had hoped to save this little beauty for my beachy holiday next month, but I really don't think that's going to happen.
 
On an aside, how do my reader friends feel about buying books online? Morally speaking, I want to support the traditional bookshop. Nothing compares to being able to touch and leaf through a book, or browse shelves for inspiration on what you'd like to read about or learn next. But bookshops are being pushed out of the market by online companies with low costs and low prices, not to mention supermarkets selling books too (don't get me started) This is what I believe.
On the flip side, I also believe that spending an extra 30% on a book that can easily be ordered online seems crazy! The (relatively) newly married, newly mortgaged side of me just can't justify it. Conflicted much?

What do you think?

Almost the weekend folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment