Wednesday 7 December 2011

"The fellow who owns his own home is always just coming out of a hardware store"


The guy who said this was called Frank McKinney (Kin) Hubbard and he was born in 1868. I don't really know what life was like in the 1800's, but I certainly know that this is true now! There's always some project or another that needs doing around the home or garden.


This week we've turned our house upside down for a much anticipated bathroom refit. After quite a few months collecting taps, a sink and other bathroom bits in our garage, the time had come for them to make their way into the house. Cue a talented Dad and a willing husband!

Before I was born my parents would move from house to house doing home improvements (often living in rubble for several months) and selling the properties for a small profit. After they'd done this 13 times in 15 years they moved to the house I've known since childhood, and by this time my Dad had acquired a lot of experience and expertise in all things DIY.

The tiles came off the walls (goodbye 80's tiles!) and the shower cubicle was dismantled (so long leaky shower!) The cabinet came off the wall (laters caravan cabinet!) and the sink came out of it's chunky cupboard home (hello extra space!)
This is the point where I switch to the future tense, because everything else is still in progress!

We've taken delivery of a shiny new 1500mm bath (standard sized baths are 1700mm) and an extending screen so we can have both a bath and a shower. We also have a new sink and pedestal and a set of mixer taps for the sink and bath (the IT guy doesn't like that I leave both the hot and cold water running while I'm washing my face and feels that mixer taps are the way to address my temperature preference issues) =)
I just couldn't resist buying this celebratory decoration for the new bathroom... we've never had a bath before!

'Hot Baths' Metal Sign

So yes, the dust may be driving me up the wall and yes, the protective sheeting on the carpets is tripping me up a few times a day and yes, using the shower at my office is pretty much THE most inconvenient thing ever- but the bathroom is coming along really nicely and it's going to look great!
Grand reveal pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment